Mini Trekking (Ice Hiking on Perito Moreno Glacier)
The excursion begins in the embarking pier located in “Bajo de las Sombras” port, about 6 km before the glacier Balconies- where you embark for a 20 minutes navigation across the Rico Arm, enjoying breathtaking views of the Perito Moreno glacier’s front wall.
You disembark on the opposite shore, where specialized bilingual mountain guides welcome you and lead you to a small shelter. After checking the last details, groups of not more than 20, follow their guides along the lake’s shore towards the edge of the glacier. Once on the ice the guides put each participant a pair of crampons on, and explain how to use them.
The two hours circuit that follows introduces you to the fascinating landscape of the glaciers: streams, small lagoons, gullies, cravasses and plenty of ice formations of the most incredible blues. The trekking is moderate. The ice surface over which you walk is irregular, but firm and safe. You will receive explanations about flora, fauna and general glaciology of the region and also about the particular phenomenon that happens in the Perito Moreno Glacier and eventually produces its rupture.
After the walk, a stroll through the forest brings you back to the shelter.
WHAT TO BRING
- Outfit: Sport shoes or trekking boots. Rubber and apres ski boots, as well as high heel shoes are not allowed. Comfortable sports wear, long trousers, warm sweater or pile, water or windproof jacket, sun glasses, sun block, gloves.
- Lunch: Passengers must bring their lunch boxes.
- Restrictions: due to the degree of effort and difficulty that this excursion presents, is NOT allowed for; pregnant women, people with overweight, some type of disability, or health problems.
- Age: Between 10 and 65 years old.
- All these services are provided daily. The complete tour with transportation from El Calafate takes around 10 hours.
- The price does NOT include the entrance fee to National Park Los Glaciares or lunch.
- Land transportation from El Calafate to the National Park (80 km) is available if required. It includes an hour visit to the glacier balconies, where one of our guides will receive you.